You are here

Finding a doctor

Finding a doctor

Finding a medical doctor in Melbourne for overseas students

If you’re feeling unwell, finding a good doctor is essential to get your health back on track. 

For newly arrived international students, it can be scary seeing a doctor for the first time; the system may be quite different to what you’re used to.

When you are feeling sick, it’s important that you go to the right place. There are three levels of medical care, and your illness will determine where to go:

  1. A general practitioner (GP) is a general doctor, and usually the first place to go. There are many GP clinics around Melbourne, but you will need to book an appointment.
  2. A specialist doctor is someone you see for a very specific reason. For example, a dermatologist specialises in skin complaints. You can only see a specialist after you have been to a GP, who will give you a referral.
  3. Hospital emergency departments are for emergencies only. Do not go to hospital if you have a cold.

Doctors’ fees are covered by your OSHC (medical insurance). Some doctors will charge extra and you may need to pay the gap; others charge only the amount covered by your OSHC and you won’t be out of pocket.

RMIT now has its own medical clinic and is free for all students. Here are some other clinics nearby which we recommend:

If you need to make a claim with your OSHC provider, Medibank is on-site at RMIT Training every Wednesday from 9am-5pm in the Student Success Hub on Level 3.

In a medical emergency, call 000 for an ambulance.