What device will I need?
- Online classes: Laptop or desktop computer running MacOS or Windows
- Face-to-Face classes at REW Melbourne: Laptop computer running MacOS or Windows
- iPads, iPhones, Android Phones and Android Tablets can be used to access online content, but NOT for assessments or assignments.
- Webcam, wired or Bluetooth headphones or speaker, and a microphone are required
- Chromebooks and eReaders are NOT supported
- The battery needs to last for at least 4 hours
- Modzilla Firefox or Chrome browser
- Use a hard-wired (Ethernet) connection if possible, or if you are using Wifi, sit as close to the router as you can
Your device must be running one of these operating systems or better:
- Windows: 10 (1703), 8.1
- Mac: MacOS 10.14 to 10.12
If your laptop does not run the operating systems listed (or better) you may not be able to install all the software you need? Please visit IT on level 3 for more information and options.
Need a new laptop?
Students may be eligible for educational discounts offered by hardware and software vendors, such as Apple, HP, Dell or Lenovo. Please visit the vendors website, or contact the vendor, to take advantage of these deals.
You can access software for free through mydesktop.rmit.edu.au : https://www.rmit.edu.au/students/support-and-facilities/it-services-for-students/mydesktop
You can download and install some software for free. See here for how to do this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yShjwggcyn2jeCM3I1AaHjiGzvSmb4LJK2VquNJgb5I/edit
You are eligible to purchase some software at a discount through RMIT University: https://rmit.onthehub.com/
If you need to access a computer and have left yours at home you can access computers with in RMIT University. See here for details: https://www.rmit.edu.au/students/support-and-facilities/it-services-for-students/computer-access